Waterstones82 Gower Street, London, WC1E 6EQ
mercredi 25 mars de 18:30 à 20:00
À partir de £6(1 autre option disponible)
Forgotten Fiction is a monthly book club which invites you to travel back in time to rediscover lost literary gems of the 20th Century.
A truly unique event, each session is curated around an enticing theme and discusses two short novels. Our brand of discussion is light-hearted, strictly non-academic – and there is no pressure to read both titles!
On March 25th we take a closer look at the power of the media, public opinion & its effect on the individual as we discuss the theme 'Notes on a Scandal', discussing Nobel Laureate Francois Mauriac's Thérése Desqueyroux (1927), with Heinrich Böll's The Lost Honour of Katharina Blum (1974).
The titular character of Thérése Desqueyroux is a complex, intriguing woman trapped in provincial life who has recently been acquitted of attempting to poison her husband. As she begins her journey home the weight of public opinion starts to overcome her and she wonders if she really has escaped punishment or whether it is just beginning.
The original German title of The Lost Honour of Katharina Blum includes a secondary line: 'or; how violence develops and where it can lead' and Böll leads us skilfully through the devastating story of Katharina, an innocent, hard-working girl who's life is systematically undone by the distortions of a corrupt press.
Join us for a fun and thought-provoking literary conversation over signature gin cocktails served in jam jars and set against a backdrop of candle-light and 1940's vintage Jazz tunes!
Tickets are £8 / £6 Plus cardholders & students, and include a gin cocktail. Books for the following month’s club will be on sale.
Previously-read titles include:
- Jean Rhys – Voyage in the Dark
- Anita Brookner – Look at Me
- Barbara Comyns – The Vet's Daughter
- Brigid Brophy – The Snow Ball
- Nawal el Saadawi – Woman at Point Zero
- Shirley Jackson – Hangsaman
- Muriel Spark – The Driver's Seat
- Vera Caspery – Laura
- Zelda Fitzgerald – Save Me The Waltz
- Irene Nemirovsky – Jezebel
- Patricia Highsmith – This Sweet Sickness
- Clarice Lispector – Near to the Wild Heart
- Carson McCullers – The Heart is a Lonely Hunter
- Elizabeth Taylor – A Wreath of Roses
- Pat Barker – Blow Your House Down