What is the minimum wage in France?
Minimum wage (SMIC)
In France, the Minimum wage ("Salaire MInimum de Croissance" (SMIC) in french) corresponds to the hourly compensation to which employees are entitled - regardless of the size of the company. The amount of the minimum wage depends on the age of the employee.
Since October 1, 2021, the hourly amount of the minimum wage is as follows:
- A adult employee (18 years and over): 10.48 € / hour (gross), which corresponds to approximately 8.29 € / hour (net) *
- A minor employee between 17 and 18 years old: 9.43 € / hour (gross)
- A minor employee aged 16 and under: 8.38 € / hour (gross)
For adult employees (18 years and over)
Since October 1, 2021, the minimum wage (SMIC) for employees over 18 years of age and over is 10.48 € / gross hour, which corresponds to approximately 8.29 € / hour net.
Sales representatives are not affected by the minimum wage because they are not subject to working hours.
For underage employees
For employees under 18, the hourly minimum wage rate varies according to age:
|Between 17 and 18 years old||9.43 € / gross hour|
|16 years old and under||8.38 € / hour gross|
Calculation of the minimum wage
For an employee over 18
For an employee over 18 years of age, who works 40 hours per week (full time), the minimum wage is calculated as follows:
- Gross: 40 hours x 52 weeks = 2,080 hours x 10.48 € gross = 21,798.4 € / year gross (i.e. 1,816.53 € / month gross)
- Net *: 40 hours x 52 weeks = 2,080 hours x 8.29 € net = 17,243.2 € / year net (i.e. 1,436.93 € / month net)
For a 17-year-old employee
For an employee of 17 years old, who works 35 hours per week (full time) the calculation of the minimum wage (gross) is as follows:
35 hours x 52 weeks = 1,820 hours x 9.43 € gross = 17,162.60 € / year gross (i.e. 1,430.21 € / month gross)
In France, an employee is considered to be full time if he works - at least - 35 hours per week.
These 35 hours are usually 5 working days per week - Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., with an hour's lunch break.
Salary payment frequency
Salary payment is generally monthly (at the end of the month).
Some employers choose to pay wages weekly.
* The net amount received by the employee depends on the company and certain contributions related to the sector of activity.