Join us on our three-hour drive showing London's top tourist attractions from an African/Caribbean perspective. There is at least 2000 years of Black history to be uncovered!
The private bus journey will start in Brixton. We then leave for our circular tour of London's typical attractions (Tower of London, Trafalgar Square, Houses of Parliament etc.) but with all the hidden Black connections explained.
We will cover a period of 3500 years including Black Generals, the colour bar , black-owned nightclubs, Black Tudors, Female Resistance leaders, Claudia Jones, Fisk Jubilee Singers, Dame Jocelyn Barrow, Mavis Best, British Black Panthers, 20,0000 Black People and their day of action, Windrush arrival points, Frederick Douglas, Breadfruits, The Black mayors who beat the National Front, 50 years of The West Indian Standing Conference, Champion boxers of the 1800s, Nelson Mandela, Trafalgar Square and the Anti-Apartheid movement, the Bank of England's secret West Indian wealth, the Ghana connection and much, much more!
Proceeds from this event will go towards the Black History Walks fundraiser for plaques in honour of six Black historical heroes:
- Dr Harold Moody 1930s Black British Civil Rights leader: Plaque unveiled March 2019
- Phyllis Wheatley 1773 child genius, poet, author. Plaque unveiled 16 July 2019
- Emma Clarke first Black female footballer in 189.) Plaque unveiled 2 December 2019
- Bill Richmond 1800s American/British champion boxer and community leader
- Tom Molyneaux 1810 American champion boxer who should have been British champion but for cheating
- Baron Baker 1950s Jamaican and Windrush street-fighter who defended the community out of Toto Bags Blues Club in Notting Hill
- Dr Cecil Belfield-Clarke, Black British Civil Rights leader, inventor of the Clarke Rule which benefits millions of children (Plaque unveiled April 2023)
- Master Juba / William Henry Lane dancer, activist and entrepeneur
You can read our Pearson GCSE exam text book based on our Notting Hill Walk here https://bit.ly/3B93eKH
Check out our walks, talks and films www.blackhistorywalks.co.uk Other coming events from Black History Walks
Black History Walks and Twentyin2020
Look out for our book 'Black History Walks in London Volume 1'. This is part of Black publishing house, Jacaranda Books revolutionary Twenty in 2020 initiative to publish 20 books by 20 Black British authors in 2020. An unprecedented feat. 'Black History Walks in London Volume 1' is the 20th of that series.
Other coming events from Black History Walks www.blackhistorywalks.co.uk
- Black History River Cruise
- Bill Richmond plaque unveiling
- Battlestar Galactica's Black history
- The Little Mermaid's real Black history and the books to prove it
- Regent's Canal black history walk
- Trafalgar Square, St Paul's, Hackney, Soho, Notting Hill,Harlem in Mayfair walks
- Harry Belafonte season at BFI Southbank
- Black Theatreland Walk
- Black presence in the National Gallery/Wallace Collection
- How to teach Black History at GCSE level
- Book signings
- How to rip off Black historians a tale of copying and greed in London